We’re very proud to have been shortlisted for Employer of the Year, in the Express and Echo Business Awards 2013. The winner will be decided by a public vote via Twitter. We felt it would help you decide whether to vote for us if you knew a little more about why we have entered.
James and I started Optix Solutions 13 years ago whilst studying at The University of Exeter, and have worked long and hard to create a company we can be proud of. We both understand that our staff are our company, if they are not happy and positive, our company will not succeed.
We’ve been fortunate to have had mentors along the way who have advised and supported us, helping James and I to become considerate and constructive employers.
In our entry we were asked questions about the changes we had made for our employees, how they were implemented and an overview of the impact of these changes. We were also asked about how we engage our employees in the goals and values of Optix. Below we have condensed our responses, we’re sure you wouldn’t want to wade through all 2000 words of our entry!
- We have investigated and implemented ways to make our staff happy, empowering them to have a voice in an environment of mutual trust
- We have sought to find ways to make our staff fulfilled in their roles, without stifling their need for development and progression
- We nurture our staff to develop strong relationships with our clients, we know at any time 70% of our staff are going to be engaging with clients
- We have shared our company’s vision, defined clear job roles and responsibilities and scheduled regular meetings and updates for everyone to keep abreast of our achievements and goals.
- It’s not all work, work, work! To further encourage a ‘friendly’ working environment, we have fortnightly Team Lunches, when everyone gets away from their desk and out of the office, to enjoy lunch on the Company. We also have a monthly performance related cash bonus, calculated upon the success of the company and shared equally with everyone.
But don’t just take our word for it. Here’s what our employees had to say about working for us
Nick “Flexibility and freedom to use my initiative and be creative. Forward thinking company and some great clients with innovative ideas”
Tom “The team is the best I have worked with. Being part of a company that has been around for ten years and is still going from strength to strength even in the current situation is reassuring, as is being part of a team that is achieving this growth. The constantly adapting and refining of the approach to our work is refreshing and effective. Working with experts in each of the fields we work in is super awesome. Perks are rad”
Kris “We are all genuinely challenged to be the best we can be, and our Directors actively encourage us to be a part of the company. You’re not just allowed to have your say, you’re listened to. If something doesn’t work or could be done better for a client, you have the power to change it. When we do well we are rewarded and when we make mistakes we’re encouraged to learn from them”
Rich “We throw a wicked xmas party! This is because everyone is laid back, friendly and has a good sense of humour. We have a good and exciting client list, diverse range of sites to work on”
Charlie “There is always someone willing to help you. Everyone enjoys successes together, creating a team environment. You are encouraged to learn and grow outside of your specific role – this creates real job satisfaction”
Dan “My input is taken on board and I am my own man. When working in other organisations it has been all too easy to blend into the background and not be a leader. Here at Optix I am encouraged to take control of my own destiny and make things happen. With that comes responsibility, but without great responsibility you cannot have great power! Even Spiderman knows that”
All we need now is your vote to help us win an award that Team Optix think is well deserved. Please hit the button below to tweet your vote